Friday, July 11, 2014

Theme 005 - Breaking the rules (about 1,073 words)

Rules were meant to be broken right? That's what rex thought. Especially when said rules were meant to keep providence's number one weapon and tool at a arms reach when he was needed. Stupid and cruel. That's all those rules were. Rex shook his head at the thoughts. Those rules were no good. That was why Rex was currently sneaking out. He need some fresh air. Fresh air that he wasn't going to get sitting around in that broom closet they call his room. It was late at night. Around midnight. Perfect time for sneaking out as most of providence would be asleep. Hopefully Six and Holiday would be asleep and not tracking him down and come after him.

He tip toed past Six's room and then repeated the tip toeing when he pasted Holiday's room. He looked around the corner before making a run out the door. Freedom! Well almost. Step one was done. Get out of the base unseen. Now on to step two. Get away from the base without getting caught. Easy. He pulled down his goggles and made the boogie pack. His personal jet pack. Literally since it was part of him. He smirked as he took off. Now he was free. At least for a few hours. Until someone at providence realized he was gone. Probably when they go to check on him He knew they had someone check on him every night. Even if no one admitted it.

He landed and put away the boogie pack once he got to town. Pulling his goggles up as he started walking to the only one food place that was still open and wasn't fast food. A pizza place on the corner. Go figure. It wasn't that he didn't like or want fast food quite the opposite actually it was just that a dinner had a different feel to it. A felling that was better for sneaking out in Rex's opinion. His cell phone buzzed in his pocket as he went. The nanites told him it was Six. Well that was quick. How did they figure out he was gone so fast? Maybe Six was still up after all. With a sigh he went to answer it. Might as well try to plead his case instead of just leading them on a goose chase for him until they finally caught up to him.

" Hello?" Yeah no need to question he knew who it was. But Rex couldn't help it. It made him feel like maybe it really wasn't the agent after all. That is until said green clad agent gives a response.

"Where are you?"

"You think I'll give up my location that easy Six?"

"I can only hope."

"I just wanted to get some fresh air. Come on Six just a little while longer then you can come get me...in fact you don't even have to do that I'll come back on my own! Promise!"

There was a hesitant pause on the other end as the agent thought the offer- well plead- over. " One hour and one hour only. Don't make me regret this. I trust you..although I'm not sure why. You know how hard it is to gain my trust."

Rex was surprised Six didn't usually give in like that. He paused then " You-Really? Wow okay thanks Six I promise I'll be back in time!" With the he hung up before racing towards the pizza place. Six let out a 'mmhhm' before the connection ended. He doubted the kid would be back in time. But the kid did deserved some fresh air and space to do something fun. Something unsupervised. He might be in his mid thirties but he still remembered what it was like to be so young.

As he expect when the hour passed Rex was still not home. With a sigh he went to go search for the wayward Rex. He figured the kid was in the nearest town like he usually went for a late night outing. Once he got there and landed the jump jet he made his way to the only open place at this odd hour. He was right.  Rex was there. He was sitting in the back eating a slice of pizza. He went up to the boy and crossed his arms. Rex jumped at the sudden appearance of the ninja. Well he was a ninja.

"Well your hour has past and you're not home. What do you have to say?" Angry and upset ninja was angry and upset.

"Oh man! Six I didn't mean it, I was totally planning on heading home after the first pizza but they burnt it and I had to wait for a new one and...and I've got nothing" The boy hung his head in shame "I'm sorry. I knew you trusted me to come back on time and that you kept my leaving a secret so I could stay out. I appreciate that...I shouldn't have let you down like this"

Six turned and went to leave motioning for Rex to come along. "Let's go" was all he said was he left the restaurant and headed back to his jump jet.  He let the walkway down and headed up into the jet. He wait until Rex was in before closing the walkway and door back up. He Climbed into the cockpit and waited for Rex to buckle himself in before taking off.

"I'm upset that you broke your promise Rex, but I'm not mad. Well as mad as I was." He paused and smirked. " In fact I expected it. I figured you'd let time slip away from you. You're a teenager after all. You're still grounded though."

The shock on Rex's face turned to a smile and a disappointed frown. "I figured as much that's what I get for breaking the rules...but for what it's worth thanks for let me have at least a little time out."

"You're welcome kid. Be sure to head to bed when we get back, you still have morning training remember."

"Yeah yeah I know." Rex replied.

"Good kid" was all Six  had to say. The rest of the flight home was silent. Rex headed straight to bed when he got back just as Six said. With a sigh he went to bed to get ready for his long stretch of harsh training that lay ahead of him. Mostly dye to breaking the rules...he smirked still worth it though. He'll total will break the rules again soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment