Friday, September 18, 2015

The blanket experiment

I didn't go to the best school. Just an okay one and even that could be augured... and as the years went on it became apprent that as long as you were quiet and did your work you could get away with a lot of stuff.  Lucky I wasn't a trouble maker I was a hardworking shy kid. So were my friends. Cut to winter of my senior year.

Winter where I'm from can either be decent and all pleasant (rarely) or hell as it freezes over (most years) there was no inbetween. The winter that happened while I was a senior in high school was one of the hell years. It was filled with delays and cancelations of all kinds.


This is what hell winter looks like.


My good friend Kat and I had saw someone walking around with a blanket. We decided that blankets were comfy cuddly fun and in the middle of this fridget winter we just had to wrap ourselves in blankets for a whole school day.

We really wanted this. So we both spent hours reading the student handbook and school website inside out. Trying to find out if they had rules against blankets or such. They didn't.  We felt like we were in the clear.

We set a day, very close to Christmas vacation if I remember correctly, and left out houses that morning wrapped up with our favorite blankets. It was a pretty fridget and chill December morning. We got into the high school cafeteria a met up with one another before home room. This was it. We both had our bankets and we're ready for the day ahead.

I'm not sure if we made rules for this fun test. We just wanted to wear blankets all day. There were rules. I don't remember if I made them for myself or if it was for me and Kat but they were:

1. You have to wear the blanket all day.
2. Only take it off if you get hot, have to go to the bathroom (which we tended to hold all day anyway the school bathrooms were dirty and smoke filled), or if you have to take it off for another reason

Those were the rules. We also came up with a plan of what to say when people asked or comment on us/ the blankets. We also prepared what we would say of we were sent to the office or if a teacher had a problem with us. Of course we'd take off and put them in our lockers if asked but we'd also tell them what we would tell our peers. It was an experiment.

If anyone asked we would told them we were taking part in a social experiment. This was the card I'd especially pull if I got sent to the office. Because why punish a scientist like person thing?

Neither of us got sent to the office. Very few peers took notice or at least seemed too. Only one or two said something to us. As for the teachers and staff? One teacher asked if I was wearing the blanket for the holiday's since it was red and green. Another asked if I was cold. No other adult authority figure made any remarks on it. I think Kat had similar results.

And that's how it became apparent that we were (and still are) but big sized toddlers masquerading as responsible adults.

0 comments:

Post a Comment